May 15, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
The Europa League final often has subplots aside from the final match score, as do most major European matches.However, the one that came from the stands of yesterday’s match between Sevilla and Benfica is an odd one.
Former Manchester United manager and current board member Sir Alex Ferguson was spotted chatting with Juventus manager Antonio Conte, and the Italian media instantly cooked up a few fresh transfer rumors for us to munch on.
The most notable of these just-add-water rumors is that apparently the two discussed bringing midfield rock Arturo Vidal to Manchester United, for around $55 million.
All things considered, it makes sense in some ways but there are also significant hurdles that would have to be overcome. First, Vidal reportedly rejected a number of high-profile moves as recently as March, with Real Madrid and Barcelona apparently circling.
And if he’s happy enough to stay in Turin despite the best efforts of two of the top teams in the world right now, it would be shocking to see him move to Old Trafford which won’t be seeing any European play at all next season. He also signed a contract extension in December keeping him at Juventus until 2017.
Another possibility raised by the media is the idea of a transfer for midfielder Paul Pogba. United has rued the day they sold the youngster to Juventus, but the player in early May told the public how Ferguson himself failed to give him playing time and therefore resigned himself to a departure.
Something else that many will want to keep in mind are the late-April reports that the United board were looking into Conte as a possible option for long-term manager. However, that also seems a bit farfetched, especially with Louis van Gaal reportedly already in the driver’s seat for the position.
- No more signings: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 0
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 0
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0
- Liverpool, Barca target could become youngest capped in Norway history 2