May 16, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
According to The Express, Arsenal made informal attempts to contact Real Madrid about Angel Di Maria, only to be told they were $22 million short.
The report says the Gunners attempted to sign the pacey winger for around $54 million, but were told Real Madrid would accept no less than $75 million for his services.
The 26-year-old was supposedly surplus last summer after Gareth Bale‘s arrival at the Bernabeu, but his great form this season not only made room for himself in the Madrid squad, but also clearly increased his transfer value.
Di Maria 50 appearances for Los Blancos this season across all competitions, scoring 11 goals and leading La Liga with 15 assists in league play.
With four years left on his contract, it makes sense that Real Madrid would play hard ball with any transfers regarding the Argentinian.
The future of Real Madrid’s squad hinges heavily on what they decide to do with Di Maria, as Arsenal and Manchester City look the most interested. The Spaniards are also rumored to be in for Sevilla duo Ivan Rakitic and Alberto Moreno, both of whom can play on the wing.
While Di Maria would fit very well into Arsene Wenger‘s style of play at the Emirates, it would appear that Manchester City’s severe Financial Fair Play penalties would eliminate them from competition for any transfers in the range that Real Madrid are reportedly asking.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3