May 16, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
According to Dutch journalist Pascal Kamperman, incoming Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal is expected to name fellow Dutchman Robin van Persie as club captain for next season.
Van Persie was Arsenal captain for a year before his high-profile transfer to Old Trafford, and won a Premier League title in his first season at his new club before struggling with injury last year.
The 30-year-old striker would be taking over for defender Nemanja Vidic, who was captain for 4 years before his contract ended this summer and he completed a transfer to Inter Milan.
The selection would also be significant in the sense that Wayne Rooney, many fans’ choice for not just Manchester United but also for England, is overlooked. That decision could possibly impact Rooney’s chances of getting Roy Hodgson’s armband once current captain Steven Gerrard retires from international play.
Speaking to Sky Sports, Kamperman said van Persie and van Gaal have a “good relationship,” as van Gaal is currently the head of the Dutch national team, and the 62-year-old established his star striker as captain of the national squad last summer.
Kamperman also said despite the delay in announcing van Gaal as the successor to David Moyes and Ryan Giggs, nothing should be thought of the lapse in time as small staff and player details are being hammered out.
Reports have indicated that the two parties could use the two days off that the Dutch team has this Sunday and Monday to hammer out the final details and announce the new deal. The Netherlands plays Ecuador on Saturday and then flies to Portugal on Tuesday for a week-long camp.
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 1
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3