May 17, 2014, 12:51 PM EST
An Alexis Sanchez shot from an improbable angle gave Barcelona a 1-0 34th minute lead over visiting Atletico Madrid, putting Blaugranas 45 minutes of soccer away from its fifth La Liga title in six years.
But their opponents did not back down, as Diego Godin headed home a deadball just after halftime to tie the score and put Atletico Madrid back in the driver’s seat to its first La Liga title since 1996. They did not relinquish the lead.
Sanchez picked up the ball from well inside the 18 and just yards from from the touchline, and to the left of Atleti goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois. He wasted no time lashing a hard shot into the upper corner above the keeper’s left arm to put Barca up 1-0.
Atleti had already used two subs, with danger men Diego Costa and Arda Turan leaving after injuries in the first 22 minutes.
— Graham Hunter (@BumperGraham) May 17, 2014
Barca weathered a late first half Atleti storm to get itself to the dressing room with a 1-0 lead, but Godin’s 49th-minute header set the stage for a wild second half.
Lionel Messi seemed to have found the go-ahead goal in the 64th minute, but was ruled offsides after the ball popped to him off a scrum in the 18.
Filipe Luis picked up a yellow card for a sliding tackle on Messi just outside the 18, and a free kick came as the clock neared 70. After a solid minute of jostling and arguing over how far away the wall should be, Messi sent the ball directly into it.
Barca’s passing just wasn’t there the rest of the way. They were a fraction off almost all day, and Atletico parked the bus after the interval as if they were masters. The Camp Nou is no longer a house of reigning champions, as Barca is trophy-less.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0