May 17, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
An Alexis Sanchez shot from an improbable angle gave Barcelona a 1-0 34th minute lead over visiting Atletico Madrid, putting Blaugranas 45 minutes of soccer away from its fifth La Liga title in six years.
But their opponents did not back down, as Diego Godin headed home a deadball just after halftime to tie the score and put Atletico Madrid back in the driver’s seat to its first La Liga title since 1996. They did not relinquish the lead.
Sanchez picked up the ball from well inside the 18 and just yards from from the touchline, and to the left of Atleti goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois. He wasted no time lashing a hard shot into the upper corner above the keeper’s left arm to put Barca up 1-0.
Atleti had already used two subs, with danger men Diego Costa and Arda Turan leaving after injuries in the first 22 minutes.
— Graham Hunter (@BumperGraham) May 17, 2014
Barca weathered a late first half Atleti storm to get itself to the dressing room with a 1-0 lead, but Godin’s 49th-minute header set the stage for a wild second half.
Lionel Messi seemed to have found the go-ahead goal in the 64th minute, but was ruled offsides after the ball popped to him off a scrum in the 18.
Filipe Luis picked up a yellow card for a sliding tackle on Messi just outside the 18, and a free kick came as the clock neared 70. After a solid minute of jostling and arguing over how far away the wall should be, Messi sent the ball directly into it.
Barca’s passing just wasn’t there the rest of the way. They were a fraction off almost all day, and Atletico parked the bus after the interval as if they were masters. The Camp Nou is no longer a house of reigning champions, as Barca is trophy-less.
- James Rodriguez to be unveiled by Real Madrid on Tuesday, join club for U.S. tour 1
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 7
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10