May 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Hull City fans are in dreamland after an incredible start to the FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium… but Arsenal are fighting back.
After just three minutes Hull were ahead as a drilled corner from the right found Tom Huddlestone on the edge of the box and his goalbound effort was tucked home by David Chester to send the Hull fans wild.
Soon after the amber and black contingent were enjoying more scenes of jubilation as they went 2-0 up thanks to Curtis Davies tucking the ball home after a goalmouth scramble in the 7th minute.
Arsene Wenger stood hands on hips and looked at the ground with disgust. The Gunners’ defense had imploded as Hull go off to a flyer with their physical approach proving too hot to handle.
It could have been 3-0 to Hull after 12 minutes as Alex Bruce saw his header cleared off the line by Kieran Gibbs. Arsenal’s nightmare start at Wembley looked to have cost them their best chance of silverware in nine years as the Gunners, and pretty much everyone else, underestimated Hull City.
Then the Spanish magician Santi Cazorla stepped up and curled in a wonderful free kick after 16 minutes to make it 2-1 and put Arsenal right back in the match. Two chances for Mesut Ozil followed as Arsenal pushed for the equalizer.
A flurry of early goals has this FA Cup turning into an instant classic with half time approaching.
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 0
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 3
- Sporting Club announces plans for $75 million “soccer village” for US Soccer National Training Center 6
- “Embarrassed” in LA, thrilled in Manchester: Reactions to 7-0 beatdown 19
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0