May 18, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Celebrating 20 years of kit designing with Arsenal, Nike released a commemorative kit with pieces from each home jersey during their two-decade tenure.
The release comes at a special time for Gunners fans, having just won the FA Cup to break a nine-year trophy drought, along with news today that Arsene Wenger has completed his contract extension.
“Nike has enjoyed a wonderful partnership with Arsenal Football Club,” said Marc van Pappelendam, Vice President of Nike UK & Ireland. “As the Arsenal team became more iconic, their kit designs followed suit. The kits which Nike has produced for the club over the last 20 years tell a story; a timeline of success which will be remembered for a long time to come.”
All proceeds for the kit’s sale will go to The Arsenal Foundation for motivating children through sports.
The base of the shirt, featuring the home kit for this past season, sits in the top right along with the Arsenal badge, and pieces of kits from the last 20 years (minus sponsor names) are cut sharply throughout.
The kit has special significance, considering Arsenal ended their long relationship with Nike this year by agreeing to the largest kit deal in English history with Puma, who will begin with next season’s shirt.
Despite kit giants Nike and Adidas still heavily dominating the landscape across Europe, the pair have been knocked back recently with Arsenal and Liverpool agreeing to enormous contracts with Puma and Warrior. Arsenal’s deal with Puma is reportedly set to pay them upwards of $50 million a year.
If you’d like to see a smattering of the past kits Nike selected for use in this collage, check out this Daily Mail article that highlights some of the inclusions in the 20-year kit.
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 3
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 2
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 5
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0