May 18, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Tim Sherwood lasted just five months as manager of Tottenham Hotspur – and if he’d known it was a short-time gig, he wouldn’t have said yes at all.
Being Spurs’ coach is a tough job these days. André Villas-Boas left the club after a season and a half, with Spurs in 7th. Tim Sherwood picked them up into sixth and put Tottenham into the Europa League, but that just wasn’t good enough for the chairman. Sherwood was sacked a day and a half after the Premier League season ended – presumably to give Spurs enough time to woo Mauricio Pochettino away from Southampton.
During his short time as Tottenham manager, Sherwood made it clear he’d say just about anything on his mind. That’ll be missed by many that enjoy a fresh voice in front of the microphone. But before he fades away, Sherwood made sure to speak his mind once more. He told Sky Sports:
I love the development phase of football and if I knew it was a five-month job stepping up I wouldn’t have done it. As a manager your head’s going to be on the block and it might be a short tenure, and in the end it proved that. I didn’t anticipate it would be as short as it actually was. I thought that if I had 18 months there I would definitely take the club forward.
But that doesn’t mean Sherwood’s ready to end his managerial career altogether. He just might be back, providing us a few more soundbites to break up the monotony:
I would consider any jobs that are out there. I would like to have an honest conversation with the owners or the chairman of any club that might be of interest and see what the expectations are of that club.
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 2
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 2
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2