May 19, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
At least it’s not Arsenal this time, but Marca has yet again said Barcelona are putting Cesc Fabregas up for sale this summer, with the club headed in a new direction.
The report states that the club is hoping they receive a “succulent offer” of around $55 million, but if they don’t, he’s not a must-sell.
Manchester United heads the list of Premier League clubs interested, with Barcelona looking to Paul Pogba for a possible replacement.
After making 36 La Liga appearances for Barcelona this past year, and nine in the Champions League, Fabregas clearly was a critical part of Tata Martino’s plans in the midfield. However, his numbers for a Nou Camp midfielder were quite underwhelming throughout the season.
Barcelona, known for its pinpoint control of games, would require better than an 87% passing accuracy, 42% take-on success rate, and 34% tackle success rate. The passing accuracy was just sixth among Barcelona midfielders with more than 15 appearances this season.
Now, with the club in the midst of a relatively sizeable overhaul, it makes at least a little sense that the Catalans would be willing to part with their midfielder, or anybody aside from the indispensable Lionel Messi, for that matter.
Much has yet to be decided at Barcelona, and the report makes that clear, as apparently a number of squad players such as Javier Macherano, Alex Song, Pedro, Alexis Sanchez, and Dani Alves are all available to be sold. The club will decide on who to sell based on who garners the most interest in the marketplace and move from there.
However, still at just 27 years old, Fabregas is in the prime of his career and the report states he still has yet to sit down with new manager Luis Enrique about his plans, so rumors of his exit from the Nou Camp at this stage are quite premature.
Still, it wouldn’t be a summer without a Cesc Fabregas rumor, so here you are.
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1