May 19, 2014, 7:58 AM EDT
Thibaut Courtois has a La Liga title under his belt after Saturday’s win over Barcelona, and could have a massive honor by next weekend when his Atletico Madrid team faces Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League final.
And he’s just on loan to Atleti, in case you weren’t aware (We know, you were, are and how could you not be if you follow UCL?).
So it follows that the 22-year-old has a big decision to make when it comes to where he plays next year. Rather, Chelsea have a bigger decision.
Courtois has been stellar for Atleti, and wants to play all the time. Chelsea has a guy named Petr Cech, considered by some to be coming off a world-class season at Stamford Bridge.
“If I move somewhere, I will play. At my age, the most important thing for me, and what I want to do, is to play.
“Petr is one of the best goalkeepers in the world and he won the Golden Glove in the Premier League this season. I have a lot of respect for him.
“I have two years [left on my] contract with Chelsea, so we will see what they decide.”
And Courtois can get testy if not in the right way, drawing from past reports regarding Belgium’s top goalkeeping gig.
You’d have to think even a wild mind like Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho would be willing to slide Cech away to have a 22-year-old superstar ready. And it seems that’s so…
Reports have claimed that Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is considering asking current No.1 Petr Cech to play back-up to Courtois and the younger keeper outlined his intention to be playing week in, week out.
Stay tuned, but things may only seem cut-and-dried when it comes to the personnel decisions of “The Special One.”
- DaMarcus Beasley, introduced in Houston: I see myself as a left back 0
- Wenger talks Zelalem, gets taste of U.S. obsession for potential international 2
- EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s new signing Ander Herrera focused on success 2
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 1
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 4