May 19, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
In a clear scare tactic aimed at helping Yaya Toure get a new contract at Manchester City, his agent has again claimed the Ivorian could leave the Etihad for greener pastures.
After winning this year’s Premier League title for the second time in three years, agent Dimitri Seluk has said Toure is clamoring for a new deal.
The man claims that City have “hurt” Toure by refusing to give him a new and improved contract. Reports have his contract currently at about $19 or $20 million per year.
He then continues by saying it’s possible that the midfielder could return to Barcelona, where he spent three seasons and made 74 La Liga appearances.
It’s not the first time Seluk has spoke out for his client – in fact, it’s getting a bit old.
The agent blabbed last March about how if Toure wasn’t given an improved deal “by Saturday” he would begin negotiations with other clubs. Clearly that was an empty threat.
He added “I do not feel [Toure] will stay at City. This is not about money. He wants to leave for many reasons,” and included that then-manager Roberto Mancini was the only one that respected him on the staff.
Two years ago, he pulled this same stunt at just about the same time. “Toure has done all he can do at city and needs new motivations,” Seluk told a Spanish radio station on May 15 of 2012. He would like a new challenge. He would not cost much” before rattling off a bunch of top teams he “could go to”.
Mind you, we haven’t heard from Toure throughout this whole pizazz. Well…we sort of have, but not really. Toure claimed last month that he doesn’t get the respect he deserves on the world stage because he is from Africa, but he never specifically mentioned anyone at his current club being the origin of this sentiment.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1