May 20, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
Two Spanish powers are preparing to sort out the 2013/14 UEFA Champions League title on Saturday in Portugal, but plenty of eyes in Europe are peeking at what awaits the clubs for next year’s tournament.
The end of many European campaigns have group stage coefficients set for the 2014/15 season of UCL play, with the final to be played in one year’s time in Berlin, and there are some very scary potential groups thanks to the return of Liverpool and AS Roma as “outsiders.” There’s also the potential nightmare of new big spenders AS Monaco and their tiny coefficient keeping them in Pot IV.
We know 22 of the teams for next year’s UCL, and the location of their temporary pots for the group stage. While it’s far too early to confidently predict whether Arsenal, Porto, Zenit, Napoli and Leverkusen will hold up their ends of the bargain and advance to hold their respect spots, let’s cheat a little and look at the potential nightmare for next season.
*Zenit St. Petersburg
The biggest names that could barnstorm into the group stage to make it even tastier are Besiktas, Lille and Dnipro.
Last year’s toughest groups included a nightmare Dortmund, Arsenal, Napoli and Marseille bunch, as well as Real Madrid, Galatasaray, Juventus and Copenhagen.
As it stands, next year could see a loaded group like Roma, Liverpool, PSG and Bayern Munich, or Monaco, Juventus, Galatasaray and Real Madrid. The new climate of big spenders plus the reintroduction of teams with lower coefficients thanks to absences from previous tournaments will make for spicier groups stages than ever before.
You’re now free to go back to thinking about this year’s dandy final with Atletico and Real!
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 3
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 0
- Nine FIFA officials, including CONCACAF president, arrested in Switzerland during dawn raids 3
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, will be extradited to United States 3
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 1
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 7