May 20, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
Here’s a trio of interesting stadium stories from around MLS:
1) Arthur Blank gives soccer the honor
Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta MLS owner Arthur Blank is building a big, new, gorgeous stadium, and a whole bunch of folks help break ground on the facility on Monday (see above photo).
Blank is handing the honor of its first event to soccer.
MLS Commissioner Don Garber says Arthur Blank has told him the first event in the new stadium will be an MLS game. #RiseUp
— Atlanta_Falcons (@Atlanta_Falcons) May 20, 2014
2) DC United moves one step closer
It’s taken almost a year, but DC United and Buzzard Point officials have taken another step towards new digs.
Nearly 10 months after announcing a tentative deal to build a 20,000-seat soccer stadium on Buzzard Point, District officials and D.C. United executives have nearly finalized an agreement, according to sources familiar with the discussions.
Despite months of delays and missed deadlines, the basic framework of the deal remains in place, according to the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the discussions have not been made public.
3) Port Miami takes a backseat
The Miami-Beckham Fabulous Hair FC will take its next steps to building their park right in the Miami Heat’s neighborhood, near American Airlines Arena. This is not the Port Miami site which was considered the prime candidate for a while, but met some consternation from outside interests.
Mike Hernandez, a spokesman for (Miami mayor) Gimenez, said PortMiami could still be considered if the boat slip site falls through.
“The PortMiami site isn’t necessarily off the table,” he said. “It’s just Plan B.”
- New York City FC could be a proving ground for Man City youth 0
- Report: Red Bulls meet Ronaldinho’s reps; Reunion with Henry coming? 0
- MLS weekend preview: Conference leaders, surging Galaxy take to NBC, NBCSN 0
- Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history 0
- Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million? 8
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 6