May 20, 2014, 10:52 AM EST
Here’s a trio of interesting stadium stories from around MLS:
1) Arthur Blank gives soccer the honor
Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta MLS owner Arthur Blank is building a big, new, gorgeous stadium, and a whole bunch of folks help break ground on the facility on Monday (see above photo).
Blank is handing the honor of its first event to soccer.
MLS Commissioner Don Garber says Arthur Blank has told him the first event in the new stadium will be an MLS game. #RiseUp
— Atlanta_Falcons (@Atlanta_Falcons) May 20, 2014
2) DC United moves one step closer
It’s taken almost a year, but DC United and Buzzard Point officials have taken another step towards new digs.
Nearly 10 months after announcing a tentative deal to build a 20,000-seat soccer stadium on Buzzard Point, District officials and D.C. United executives have nearly finalized an agreement, according to sources familiar with the discussions.
Despite months of delays and missed deadlines, the basic framework of the deal remains in place, according to the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the discussions have not been made public.
3) Port Miami takes a backseat
The Miami-Beckham Fabulous Hair FC will take its next steps to building their park right in the Miami Heat’s neighborhood, near American Airlines Arena. This is not the Port Miami site which was considered the prime candidate for a while, but met some consternation from outside interests.
Mike Hernandez, a spokesman for (Miami mayor) Gimenez, said PortMiami could still be considered if the boat slip site falls through.
“The PortMiami site isn’t necessarily off the table,” he said. “It’s just Plan B.”
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 1
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 3