May 20, 2014, 7:52 AM EDT
Louis van Gaal spoke with Dutch TV station RTL about his new gig as Manchester United manager, and talked about the communication he’ll have with a certain Scottish peer.
Sir Alex Ferguson knows a thing or two about managing United and van Gaal does not expect to have any problems getting along with the former Red Devils boss.
“I will definitely have a dram with him soon,” he said. “We have done that several times before. We can really cope with each other. I don’t think he is the biggest problem for this job. Because I am always putting more pressure on me than anyone else.”
Certainly there are some language differences at play here, but you can’t help but laugh at the choice of words “cope” and “biggest problem.” In any event, van Gaal’s prickly personality and reputation as a strict boss are more in line with Ferguson than Moyes.
And van Gaal spoke openly about his big plans mimicking those of his new club.
“The aim is to bring them back to the number-one position as soon as possible, because that’s where they were under Sir Alex Ferguson.
“I have managed in games at Old Trafford before and know what an incredible arena Old Trafford is and how passionate and knowledgeable the fans are. This club has big ambitions; I too have big ambitions.
“Together I’m sure we will make history.”
Van Gaal continues to plan the Netherlands World Cup run before moving to Old Trafford after the tournament.
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 5
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 4
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs 0