May 20, 2014, 7:52 AM EDT
Louis van Gaal spoke with Dutch TV station RTL about his new gig as Manchester United manager, and talked about the communication he’ll have with a certain Scottish peer.
Sir Alex Ferguson knows a thing or two about managing United and van Gaal does not expect to have any problems getting along with the former Red Devils boss.
“I will definitely have a dram with him soon,” he said. “We have done that several times before. We can really cope with each other. I don’t think he is the biggest problem for this job. Because I am always putting more pressure on me than anyone else.”
Certainly there are some language differences at play here, but you can’t help but laugh at the choice of words “cope” and “biggest problem.” In any event, van Gaal’s prickly personality and reputation as a strict boss are more in line with Ferguson than Moyes.
And van Gaal spoke openly about his big plans mimicking those of his new club.
“The aim is to bring them back to the number-one position as soon as possible, because that’s where they were under Sir Alex Ferguson.
“I have managed in games at Old Trafford before and know what an incredible arena Old Trafford is and how passionate and knowledgeable the fans are. This club has big ambitions; I too have big ambitions.
“Together I’m sure we will make history.”
Van Gaal continues to plan the Netherlands World Cup run before moving to Old Trafford after the tournament.
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 0
- Personal terms all that separates Griezmann from $40 million move to Atlético Madrid 0
- Manuel Pellegrini talks title ambitions, Manchester City vs. AC Milan, US tour 1