May 21, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
More audacious and despicable racial abuse has reportedly come Mario Balotelli’s way during training for Italy’s World Cup run.
The team was training in Florence at the Coverciano, and was on hand as some racists publicly taunted the 23-year-old.
The Milan forward, who has been targeted by fans throughout his career, was training with the rest of the squad as some fans shouted “black piece of (expletive)” towards him.
The 23-year-old, who played for Manchester City between 2010 and 2013, did not react to the insults initially but reportedly told his team-mates later: “This only happens in Rome and Florence.”
It’s hard to understand a group of people finding this sort of display acceptable in public, especially with the assumption that this group of people have some semblance of interest in Italy doing well at the World Cup.
It’s unfortunate, and just another sign of a messy world.
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 2
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 5
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 3
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1