May 21, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
More audacious and despicable racial abuse has reportedly come Mario Balotelli’s way during training for Italy’s World Cup run.
The team was training in Florence at the Coverciano, and was on hand as some racists publicly taunted the 23-year-old.
The Milan forward, who has been targeted by fans throughout his career, was training with the rest of the squad as some fans shouted “black piece of (expletive)” towards him.
The 23-year-old, who played for Manchester City between 2010 and 2013, did not react to the insults initially but reportedly told his team-mates later: “This only happens in Rome and Florence.”
It’s hard to understand a group of people finding this sort of display acceptable in public, especially with the assumption that this group of people have some semblance of interest in Italy doing well at the World Cup.
It’s unfortunate, and just another sign of a messy world.
- Hull City 2-2 West Ham United: Debut goals a-plenty in fun draw 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Brek Shea assists in Birmingham debut (video) 0
- Champions League preview: How will the four Premier League teams get on? 0
- Watch live: Hull City vs. West Ham United (Lineups) 0
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United shine bright like a diamond 0
- Stoke City launch initiative to set up academies across North America 2