May 21, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
As he prepares to play the biggest game of his life, Atletico Madrid on-loan goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois continues to be asked about next year (over and over and over again).
The Chelsea man is being tipped to return to his parent club, which presents a major problem. Petr Cech is just 32-years-old and unlikely to get fired up about his prospects as a back-up.
And Courtois may be just 22, but he’s not willing to back up anyone.
“I have the biggest respect for Petr Cech. He is one of the best goalkeepers in the world so I think putting him and me in the same team is not the healthiest thing in the world,” Courtois told BBC Sport.
“We will see in the next week if we can sit together with Chelsea to find something for next year, find out what they want, what my desire is. We will see.”
“The two of us want to play everything. Nobody will be happy to play in only the League Cup or FA Cup. Things are unclear at the moment.”
It’s not an easy decision for Jose Mourinho (or maybe it is. Who knows with anything related to The Special One?). But bringing back Courtois would seemingly have to be a starting role, or at least the majority starter. Competition brings out the best in people, but the goalkeeper position is one of special consideration.
- USA vs. Guatemala preview: USMNT’s final tune-up before 2015 Gold Cup 0
- 2015 Gold Cup – Group A preview: USMNT favorites over Honduras, Panama, Haiti 0
- Clint Dempsey replaced by Michael Bradley as USMNT captain for Gold Cup 5
- Despite devastating World Cup exit, England’s women inspired a nation 7
- US ask Switzerland to extradite seven FIFA officials 0
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 10