May 21, 2014, 7:18 PM EST
The Chelsea midfielder joins John Terry in signing on for another year of Mourinho Mania. The source in the report says Lampard’s extension is expected to be completely done “before he flies off to Brazil” next week.
Lampard, who was just confirmed as the England vice-captain for the World Cup, will enter his fourteenth year with Chelsea sitting on 626 appearances for the Blues, including 30 last year in the Premier League.
Reports say that Lampard’s base salary will go down from last year’s reported amount of $13 million, which was initially a point of contention for the player as talks dragged on for weeks towards the end of the season, but he is finally on board with the new deal.
Lampard’s Chelsea fortunes have come a long way from the rumors last summer linking him not only away from Stamford Bridge but also to Major League Soccer.
He beat out Michael Carrick for a World Cup roster spot, and will go alongside Ross Barkley and Jordan Henderson. Many are surprised that all three were selected, but Roy Hodgson confirmed the asset of Lampard’s experience by making him vice-captain.
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 6