May 22, 2014, 7:55 AM EST
With Champions League soccer heading to Anfield next season, Liverpool are gearing up for a big summer of spending to bolster their squad.
Brendan Rodgers will be a busy man between now and August 31 when the transfer window slams shut.
Liverpool are said to be sniffing second Barcelona forward Pedro, according to this report from the Daily Mirror, with the Spanish international set to become available this summer as new manager Luis Enrique has a clearout at the Camp Nou.
Pedro, 26, has been in and out of the team at Barca in recent seasons but still managed to score 16 goals in 45 appearances last season for Gerardo Martino’s side. Yet with new boss Enrique set to shake up the Blaugrana squad over the offseason it is thought that many mainstays at Barcelona could face being thrown on the scrapheap and Pedro would be allowed to leave.
Heading to the World Cup with Spain, Pedro has scored 14 goals in 37 games for the national team and often pops up in the right place at the right time from a wide position. Do Liverpool really need another attacker?
Rodgers has acknowledged that Liverpool’s defending wasn’t good enough last season and that ultimately cost them the league title, yet his emphasis on free-flowing attacking soccer means that plenty more attackers will arrive at Anfield this summer.
Pedro is a great finisher and is able to play in a variety of positions across the attack. Having him in a rotation with the likes of Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho would make Liverpool incredibly strong in that area and with more games heading their way after European qualification was sealed, Rodgers will need to bolster his squad wherever he can.
Is Pedro on his way to Anfield?
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 1
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 1
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested 10