May 22, 2014, 2:19 PM EST
The new Bloomberg Sports’ “Power 50″ list of top European footballers has a new No. 1, as both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo dropped in its rankings.
The list — which claims to be an analytics-driven, complex reading of soccer stars — features Uruguayan star Luis Suarez atop the list as the only Premier League player in the Top 9 (David Silva of Manchester City slides in at No. 10).
The Top 10 features a bit of a gulf between the Top Four and the rest of the list. Suarez’s 86 rating is the highest, with Messi just behind and Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ronaldo posting ratings over 84.5.
The gap between Suarez and No. 5, Roma’s Kevin Strootman, is 4.16. The gap between Strootman and player No. 50, Roberto Firmino of Hoffenheim, is 2.85.
Serie A is the No. 1 league, although all 14 of its representatives are culled from two clubs.
Names that may surprise Premier League fans as part of the list are Southampton’s outstanding Jose Fonte, as well as Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert of the Saints. Notable PL omissions are Leighton Baines, Romelu Lukaku, Adam Lallana, Sergio Aguero and Samir Nasri.
Serie A – 14 players
Premier League – 13
La Liga – 12
Bundesliga – 6
Ligue 1 – 5
Atletico Madrid – 8
AS Roma – 7
Juventus – 7
Manchester City – 4
- MLS Week 1 preview: Sounders vs. Revs, Timbers vs. RSL headline First Kick weekend 0
- FA Cup preview: Wembley trips on the line as Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool shoot for semis 0
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 3
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 9