May 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Standout Arsenal back Bacary Sagna is on the cusp of a mega deal to join Manchester City on a free transfer with a contract that would earn him about $230,000 per week.
The 31-year-old defender played in 48 matches this year, his most since playing 49 in 2008-09. Sagna scored five goals and added 22 assists in 8 years and 284 matches across all competitions with the Gunners.
The 39-times capped Frenchmen is in the World Cup squad this year, and would’ve been more than happy to stay in North London if his monetary desires were met.
Suffice it to say, City has surpassed those requests and now Sagna seems medical clearance away from his new club.
Sagna’s anger at the way his contract situation has been handled by Arsenal has played an integral role in his decision to quit the club.
Sagna, who leaves the Gunners on a free transfer, will officially join City on July 1.
His move comes after a long-running transfer saga at the Emirates Stadium that has seen Sagna reject three contract offers – all of them below his £100,000-per-week wage demands.
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- USMNT prospect Gedion Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match 4
- Stripping Russia of World Cup 2018? Germany makes the argument 6
- New York City FC to announce “major signing” on Thursday… Frank Lampard? 7
- PHOTOS: What if your college was a professional soccer team? They could look like this 7
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 2