May 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Standout Arsenal back Bacary Sagna is on the cusp of a mega deal to join Manchester City on a free transfer with a contract that would earn him about $230,000 per week.
The 31-year-old defender played in 48 matches this year, his most since playing 49 in 2008-09. Sagna scored five goals and added 22 assists in 8 years and 284 matches across all competitions with the Gunners.
The 39-times capped Frenchmen is in the World Cup squad this year, and would’ve been more than happy to stay in North London if his monetary desires were met.
Suffice it to say, City has surpassed those requests and now Sagna seems medical clearance away from his new club.
Sagna’s anger at the way his contract situation has been handled by Arsenal has played an integral role in his decision to quit the club.
Sagna, who leaves the Gunners on a free transfer, will officially join City on July 1.
His move comes after a long-running transfer saga at the Emirates Stadium that has seen Sagna reject three contract offers – all of them below his £100,000-per-week wage demands.
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 1
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3