May 22, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Alexi Lalas tweeted that Taylor Twellman was about to break some major USMNT news, and he wasn’t lying. According to Twellman, Landon Donovan was set to be one of the seven players cut to help Jurgen Klinsmann get to his 23-man roster for the 2014 World Cup.
And it came true moments later.
The USMNT’s all-time leader in goals is the highest-profile of the cuts, and by far the most noteworthy. The face of US Soccer for so many years, only the axing of Maurice Edu can hold a candle to it.
23 Man roster will be named tonight: Parkhurst, Evans, Goodson, Corona, Edu, Boyd and Donovan are not in. #USMNT
— Taylor Twellman (@TaylorTwellman) May 22, 2014
Which means, as US Soccer soon followed-up, that this is your World Cup roster:
With this lineup, it’s tricky to breakdown positions — is Fabian Johnson a mid or a back? Geoff Cameron? — but we’ll give it the old college try:
Defenders: DeAndre Yedlin, Omar Gonzalez, Timmy Chandler, John Anthony Brooks, Matt Besler, DaMarcus Beasley, Geoff Cameron, Fabian Johnson
Midfielders: Michael Bradley, Graham Zusi, Jermaine Jones, Kyle Beckerman, Mix Diskerud, Ale Bedoya, Brad Davis
MORE ON TODAY’S ANNOUNCEMENT
- Analyzing Klinsmann’s cuts | Klinsmann explains decision (VIDEO)
- SOCCERLY: Why those seven aren’t going to Brazil
- Clear message from Klinsmann’s roster: 2018 is in focus
- Twitter reacts to decision | Donovan issues Facebook statement
- SOCCERLY: Klinsmann’s son deletes cruel Donovan tweet, then deletes account
- By position: Forwards who made the U.S. squad | Midfielders | Defenders
- With the 23-man set, how does the USMNT line up for the World Cup?
- Donovan staying home: Where his omission ranks among others who’ll miss the World Cup
- Lesson of the day: Still a lot to learn about Jurgen Klinsmann
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 0
- Premier, Champions League quotas leave Mourinho desperate to sell Torres 0
- Van Gaal, Manchester United ready to move on from Fellaini, Kagawa 0
- Radamel Falcao on track to return at weekend’s Emirates Cup 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Portland’s Diego Valeri 0
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 6