May 23, 2014, 6:59 AM EDT
Last summer, Arsenal spent £42.5m (~$72m) to bring in Mesut Özil, making his transfer from Real Madrid the club’s most expensive. To date, anyway. Will the Gunners shatter their record once again, bringing in another shiny new purchase this summer?
Club director Lord Harris of Peckham had some encouraging words for fans hoping that Arsenal will reinforce their squad with top talent prior to the start of the next Premier League season. While he won’t commit to the club putting a specific amount in the transfer kitty, it sounds like Arsène Wenger will be able to dream big. Harris said:
We want to win the Premier League and the Champions League. If we buy two or three players then I think we can. We want to win. We don’t want to be second, we don’t want to be third and we don’t want to be fourth. We will support Arsene with the players he wants to buy. He has always been encouraged to spend.
The purchase won’t necessarily be “new”, though. There are plenty of rumors about the potential return of Cesc Fàbregas, who left Arsenal in 2011. Carlos Vela, who had little playing time with the Gunners, may also be convinced back. There’s also rumors of bringing in Mario Mandžukić from Bayern Munich, Antoine Griezmann from Real Sociedad, and Michu from Swansea – although the Swans deny the Spaniard is for sale.
Just one tiny drawback: Lord Harris says Arsenal won’t be buying Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo or Gareth Bale. Sorry if that shattered your dreams, Arsenal supporters.
- Next step: Las Vegas soccer stadium moves forward, but there’s a catch 1
- Lionel Messi heading to PSG, Chelsea? Not so fast, say Barcelona 1
- $88 million Edinson Cavani linked to Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United 3
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 6