May 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Robbie Keane got got by TMZ cameras while walking down the street, and didn’t back down when asked about LA Galaxy teammate Landon Donovan’s snub from the United States World Cup roster.
Keane, owner of 131 international caps for the Republic of Ireland, said he’d be “pissed off” if he were Donovan, and called the snub “surprising.”
“It’s certainly a bit of a shock to me,” Keane said. “Everybody expected him to go, and unfortunately he’s not going.”
The 33-year-old admitted he shouldn’t just be included in the squad because of his legendary service to the team, but said he believes Donovan still has what it takes to be an impact player for the USMNT.
“He’s done what he has to do for the national team over the years, but I think he should be brought [to Brazil] because he’s a good player, not because of what he’s done.”
The TMZ reporter then asked Keane how he’d feel if it were him, and he let Klinsmann know what Donovan’s feeling.
“I’d be pissed off!” Keane said with a chuckle.
The Galaxy forward was very candid in front of the camera, and when asked about the US’s fortunes without Donovan, he said it may take a miracle for the US to advance past their group.
“I’ll be honest with you, I don’t care if they had [Lionel] Messi, with the group they have they’re gonna struggle,” Keane said. “It’s going to be quite tough with the teams that are in there.”
Keane also said he had sent a text to Donovan but hadn’t heard back and the pair haven’t spoken about his exclusion just yet. He mentioned he’s happy to have Donovan back in the Galaxy team but made it sound like he would rather Landon get his wish to go to Brazil.
- Iker Casillas to MLS? Real Madrid legend: “I would like to play in the United States” 0
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0
- Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution 5
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 2
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 3