May 24, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Tottenham Hotspur are in hot pursuit of a new manager, after parting ways with Tim Sherwood shortly after the Premier League season ended. But the man many thought would be in charge of Spurs next season says the club haven’t been in touch in weeks.
Back in April, when Sherwood was still on the bench, Frank de Boer, who’d turned down the chance to speak with Tottenham after André Villas-Boas was sacked, said that the club had been in touch. Apparently Spurs had contacted Ajax, asking about the ability of their manager.
But now it’s almost June, and Spurs haven’t followed up on their promise to call. No letter, no email, no nothing – neither de Boer or Ajax have heard a word. De Boer said that he doesn’t know if Spurs will be in touch, but that he’s happy at Ajax.
If not the Ajax manager, then who? There’s a long list of coaches hanging out in the unemployment lines right now: David Moyes, most recently at Manchester United; Michael Laudrup, sacked from Swansea in February; and Neil Lennon, who left Celtic earlier this week.
Apparently, bringing in someone unattached isn’t in Tottenham’s game plan. Perhaps Daniel Levy thinks it screams of failure, and would instead like to woo his ninth manager away from a team. After all, Villas-Boas was without a job when Spurs brought him in, and look how well that turned out.
Really, though, it’s likely de Boer hasn’t been contacted because Spurs have their eyes set on one man. It makes most sense that the club will wait to see how negotiations with Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino pan out before determining if they need to move on to any other candidates.
- Hull City 2-2 West Ham United: Debut goals a-plenty in fun draw 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Brek Shea assists in Birmingham debut (video) 0
- Champions League preview: How will the four Premier League teams get on? 0
- Watch live: Hull City vs. West Ham United (Lineups) 0
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United shine bright like a diamond 0
- Stoke City launch initiative to set up academies across North America 2