May 24, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Juventus are in the market to bring at least one talented striker into their squad, most likely as backup to Carlos Tévez and Fernando Llorente. It’s rumored that the bianconeri are chasing players very familiar to Chelsea fans: Didier Drogba, at Chelsea from 2004-2012 and most recently seen at Galatasaray, and Samuel Eto’o, who spent the last season with the Blues and has now been released by the club.
It’s reported that Juve are more interested in Drogba, who might be the older of the two but always looks as though he’s set to score some sort of spectacular goal. Drogba, too, would be interested in joining Juventus, as he’s looking for Champions League play next season. However, the Ivorian will have to take a hefty pay cut to join the Italian champions, who’d only be able to offer about half of what he was earning in Turkey.
That’s why the bianconeri turned their attentions to Eto’o, who had nine goals in twenty-one appearances for Chelsea this season. Juventus would like to add the 33-year-old’s experience in international tournaments to their squad, but again, cost is an issue. Eto’o would like to return to Italy – he was part of Inter Milan’s Champions League winning squad in 2010 – but his price is considered too high for someone of his age.
Of course, their plans may change entirely if the Old Lady succeed in landing the biggest fish they’ve been eyeing. Juventus are keen on luring Alexis Sánchez away from Barcelona, hoping to tempt him with a return to Italy.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1