May 24, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The fat lady was warming up her lungs in Lisbon… but Sergio Ramos wasn’t having any of it.
With Atletico Madrid leading 1-0 and less than 120 seconds away from their first-ever UEFA Champions League title, Ramos popped up to head home in the 93rd minute and send the the match to extra time with the score locked at 1-1.
Luke Modric’s perfect free kick from the right found Ramos who flicked his effort into the far corner to send Real’s fans wild. The Spanish central defender has now scored three goals in his last two Champions League matches and came up big when it mattered most.
Can Real now turn the game on its head and win their tenth UCL title? Or will Atleti regroup and make history?
- Transfer needs – Manchester United, Newcastle, QPR, Southampton, Stoke 0
- Preview: Possible “Groups of Death” galore in UEFA Champions League draw 2
- Wayne Rooney named new England captain as youthful squad selected 2
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 1
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0