May 24, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Want to own a piece of history? Something touched by Sir Alex Ferguson, one of the most impressive names in the soccer world? And not just touched, but painstakingly selected and cared for by the great Scot?
Well, you can. If you have around $100,000 to spare, that is.
Sir Alex earned nearly $4m selling off part of his vintage wine collection in Hong Kong. The most expensive bottle, a Domaine de la Romanee-Conti if you’re into that sort of thing, went for $158,000.
Ferguson’s 5,000 bottle collection spans every year of his managerial career at United from 1986-2013. When asked as to why he was selling, Ferguson replied:
The importance of collecting wine was that it served as a distraction and gave me a balance in my life that helped me in dealing with the intensity and demands required of me as the manager of Manchester United. In retirement, I now have the time to visit the places and people that will feed my passion, so I felt it made sense to release a large number of the wines I had collected over the years. I hope many will enjoy exploring my collection.
Interested in exploring his collection? It’s not too late. There’s another auction scheduled for June 5th in London. If England’s too far out of your way, you can place bids in the online auction that will run from June 9-23.
Happy bidding, everyone! You’re sure to end up with a fine bottle, because, as the head of wine at Christie’s auction house points out, “Sir Alex’s talent of picking quality players for the pitch also extends to picking sensational wines for the cellar.”
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 2
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0
- Open Cup final preview: Is a championship coming to Philly tonight? 0
- Arsenal’s defending depth fears could be on display against Dortmund 5