May 24, 2014, 6:59 AM EST
On Friday, social media lit up with the news that Paris Saint-Germain were willing to pay over the odds for Chelsea defender David Luiz. By the time night fell, the word was that the clubs had already agreed a deal, worth about $67m – almost double what Chelsea had paid Benfica in January 2011.
That in itself is a great bit of business for the Blues. PSG have put themselves in a bit of a sticky situation – everyone knows the Ligue 1 side have money to spare, so they’re going to drive up the prices of players PSG are hoping to buy. Chelsea, meanwhile, needs to fulfill its Financial Fair Play obligations, so if they’re wanting to purchase more players (and they are) they’ll need to have money coming in.
Plus, it looks like Chelsea already have a replacement lined up: Raphaël Varane, the French centerback currently plying his trade at Real Madrid. He’s just 21 years old, but with Pepe injured, he’s likely to start alongside Sergio Ramos in the Champions League final.
Varane, hampered by his own injury, hasn’t seen as much of the pitch this season as he did under José Mourinho. But his talents impressed the manager when he was in charge at Real, which could lead to him being brought to Stamford Bridge.
The young defender could be brought in for$35m, although his stock could rise if Real believe Chelsea have money to spare. Still, this would leave the Blues with money to spend to fill that great, gaping hole at striker.
One thing’s for sure: Mourinho will be watching intently as Real and Atlético battle it out on Saturday night.
- Report: Chelsea join Manchester United in chase for Nathaniel Clyne 1
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 1
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 8
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1