Landon Donovan, in his own words: “It has been an emotional three days”

May 25, 2014, 11:40 PM EST

Landon Donovan is a history maker.

After scoring his 135th and 136th goals in Major League Soccer during LA’s victory over Philadelphia on Sunday, Donovan is now the all-time leading scoring in MLS history.

It’s been a tumultuous week for the legendary figure of American soccer, with Donovan omitted from the U.S. national team for the 2014 World Cup on Thursday but then bouncing back to break Jeff Cunningham’s MLS scoring record on Sunday.

MORE: Donovan breaks MLS scoring record, ends rollercoaster week on a high

Speaking to Time Warner Cable Sportsnet straight after the game, Donovan was overcome with emotion but tried to stay calm and collected when asked about his feelings on a special night.

Here is what the man of the moment had to say.

On the ups and down of the past few days…

“It’s been an emotional three days. A lot of down and a lot of up honestly. The love I’ve received from everybody here, including when I walked out for warm-ups with signs and people staying stuff, has been amazing. And I’m really happy it ended this way for this week.”

On scoring his record-breaking 135th goal in MLS…

“It’s been a while so there are a lot of emotions. Just getting on the scoreboard again was nice. Hitting the net was nice. Getting the 135 on the back of what happened this week. It was a good feeling. It’s usually how it goes. Once you get the first one the other ones are a little easier. But like I said yesterday I felt like this form has been coming. I’ve been playing really well. I felt good in camp about how things were going. And I thought there was a goal coming soon. I wasn’t expecting it to be this soon in this game. But I was still happy I could score.”

On how important MLS is to him…

“For a long part of my childhood there was no MLS and when I started watching, it was a dream just to be a professional. So having the opportunity to play this many years and play with some wonderful teammates. Robbie [Keane] made a real concerted effort to get me a goal tonight and I’m forever indebted. And my teammates response to all of it meant a lot to me, too.”

On the support of his teammates at a difficult time…

“These are my family members, my brothers. And I could see in their eyes yesterday how hurt they were. And I’m just glad I could come back and contribute and help out.”

Latest Posts
  1. San Francisco 49ers brass announced as investors in Sacramento Republic

Jan 30, 2015, 10:19 AM EST

sacbee.com sacbee.com

“We have more 49ers season ticket holders in Sacramento than we do in San Francisco,” the 49ers CEO said

2. Man City’s Pellegrini hopes stamping ban will change “top player” Costa

Jan 30, 2015, 9:33 AM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST HAM-MAN CITY Getty Images

The Manchester City manager made the comments during the pre-Chelsea press conference on Friday.

3. Louis van Gaal: No Carrick for month, no new signings, Fletcher is at West Ham

Jan 30, 2015, 8:48 AM EST

Limited but talented, Michael Carrick's virtues are the subject of a constant debate around Manchester United's midfield. The England international, however, is less of a problem than the players who have been chosen to play around him. (Photo: Getty Images) Getty Images

Louis van Gaal’s Red Devils host Leicester City at 10am ET on Saturday.

4. Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more

Jan 30, 2015, 7:46 AM EST

Costa to miss out vs. Palace? Getty Images

This further limits Jose Mourinho’s options for Saturday’s match, and will also keep Costa from a trip to Aston Villa and a visit from Everton.

5. Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season

Jan 30, 2015, 7:35 AM EST

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

Much like their signing and loaning back of Divock Origi at Lille this summer, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers makes an investment in the future.

6. Report: Dani Osvaldo elects for Juventus return, making early Giovinvo exit possible

Jan 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EST

Dani Osvaldo, Inter Milan Dani Osvaldo, Inter Milan

Osvaldo-to-Juventus could mean Giovinco-to-Toronto happens six months early.

7. David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

David Beckham David Beckham

The latest update from Beckham on building a stadium, bringing an MLS team to Miami.

8. DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution

Jan 29, 2015, 7:10 PM EST

Mattia Destro, AS Roma Mattia Destro, AS Roma

What went down on Thursday, the 29th day of this January transfer window? A full recap, inside.

9. Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS

Jan 29, 2015, 5:36 PM EST

Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht

Agudelo is back in MLS, where he probably should have been all along.

10. Russia to cut budget for 2018 World Cup, as economy continues to struggle

Jan 29, 2015, 3:18 PM EST

FIFA FIFA

Putin and Russia have already had to cut costs for the 2018 World Cup.

11. Alexis Sanchez an injury concern for Arsenal

Jan 29, 2015, 2:43 PM EST

Arsenal v Southampton - Premier League

Arsenal’s main man is touch and go for this weekend’s game against Aston Villa.

12. Daniel Sturridge could return from injury for Liverpool this weekend against West Ham

Jan 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Liverpool FC Training Session Liverpool FC Training Session

Liverpool’s leading striker could return to action this Saturday after five months out.

13. How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash?

Jan 29, 2015, 1:02 PM EST

Manchester City v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

With players out and title dreams on the line, how will Chelsea and City line up on Saturday?

14. VIDEO: Jurgen Klinsmann’s a stud, backheels TWO balls at the same time

Jan 29, 2015, 11:43 AM EST

jurgen_klinsmann Getty Images

Watch Klinsmann’s insane piece of skill from the friendly vs. Chile on Wednesday. My word.

15. Lots drawn: Guinea in, Mali out as Africa Cup of Nations quarterfinals set

Jan 29, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

FBL-AFR-2015-MATCH24-GUI-MLI FBL-AFR-2015-MATCH24-GUI-MLI

Guinea won the lottery and are through to the last eight. Here’s the quarterfinal field for AFCON.

16. Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested

Jan 29, 2015, 9:45 AM EST

Fredy Adu made his first start for Bahia in Brazil. Getty Images

Former D.C. United, RSL and Union player heading back home?

Top five Premier League goals: Week 22