May 25, 2014, 1:18 AM EDT
Ninety minutes, four shots on target, and a lack quality chances defined Saturday night’s game at Rio Tinto, where Real Salt Lake was held to one shot on target despite holding 67 percent possession against visiting Dallas. Forcing Jeff Attinella into only three saves at the other end, the visiting Toros rarely looked good for a goal, either, with the teams eventually fulfilling their destinies with a 0-0 draw.
Highlights of the game are above, but as you can tell by the length of the package, there isn’t much to absorb. Neither team registered a shot on target unit after half time when Olmes Garcia finally found Chris Seitz. Dallas created their only true test of Attinella three minutes later, putting Tesho Akindele through on goal. Putting only two more tries on target, Dallas did little to challenge for the extra points.
In spite of the game’s lackluster nature, have some reason to overlook the performance and be happy with the result. For FC Dallas, a point on the road against the defending Western Conference champs can never be taken for granted. Though the result runs the team’s winless streak to seven, Óscar Pareja couldn’t have expected to get three points out of Rio Tinto.
For RSL, any points without the team’s core talent is a bonus. That the team stays undefeated (6-0-6) only adds another layer to the narrative. Though Jeff Cassar’s men proved against Colorado that their bar shouldn’t be lowered that much, a staunch pragmatists could still celebrate points earned without Nick Rimando, Kyle Beckerman, and Álvaro Saborío.
- Preview: Early cycle friendly shelves normal questions for U.S. national team’s return 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The faith-destroying edition 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 6
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 1
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 14