May 25, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
As we continue our countdown to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil here at PST, each day from now until the tournament begins we will look back at a memorable moment from years gone by.
Here is number 18.
PST’s Top 20 World Cup moments – No. 18, Tardelli scores in World Cup final… loses the plot
Marco Tardelli’s incredible goal celebration has gone down in World Cup history as the Italian midfielder went crazy after scoring a pivotal goal in Italy’s 3-1 win over West Germany in the 1982 final in Spain.
Tardelli had the ball played to him on the edge of the box, he popped it up and then with an out-stretched swipe of his left-boot he hammered the ball into the far corner.
That was it. The next few seconds defined Tardelli’s career as he ran toward the bench with his fists clenched and began screaming uncontrollably as the TV cameras locked onto his face. Passion. Emotion. Sheer ecstasy. The world connected with Tardelli and felt his joy as he put Italy well on their way to World Cup glory.
A holding midfielder who only scored six goals in 81 games for the Italian national team, Tardelli’s career was also about breaking up the play and giving the ball to others. However his moment to shine arrived on the biggest stage in the world and he helped Italy clinch their third World Cup title in history.
Tardelli’s goal, but more importantly his celebration, will be remembered forever.
- USMNT prospect Gideon Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match 0
- Stripping Russia of World Cup 2018? Germany makes the argument 2
- New York City FC to announce “major signing” on Thursday… Frank Lampard? 6
- PHOTOS: What if your college was a professional soccer team? They could look like this 7
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 1
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 3