May 25, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
As we continue our countdown to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil here at PST, each day from now until the tournament begins we will look back at a memorable moment from years gone by.
Here is number 18.
PST’s Top 20 World Cup moments – No. 18, Tardelli scores in World Cup final… loses the plot
Marco Tardelli’s incredible goal celebration has gone down in World Cup history as the Italian midfielder went crazy after scoring a pivotal goal in Italy’s 3-1 win over West Germany in the 1982 final in Spain.
Tardelli had the ball played to him on the edge of the box, he popped it up and then with an out-stretched swipe of his left-boot he hammered the ball into the far corner.
That was it. The next few seconds defined Tardelli’s career as he ran toward the bench with his fists clenched and began screaming uncontrollably as the TV cameras locked onto his face. Passion. Emotion. Sheer ecstasy. The world connected with Tardelli and felt his joy as he put Italy well on their way to World Cup glory.
A holding midfielder who only scored six goals in 81 games for the Italian national team, Tardelli’s career was also about breaking up the play and giving the ball to others. However his moment to shine arrived on the biggest stage in the world and he helped Italy clinch their third World Cup title in history.
Tardelli’s goal, but more importantly his celebration, will be remembered forever.
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1