May 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Landon Donovan became the highest scorer in MLS history on Sunday, as the face of soccer in the USA bagging his 135th goal in Major League Soccer.
No player in MLS history has scored more goals than Donovan, who then added another just for good measure to tick his total onto 136.
In a week where he was snubbed by Jurgen Klinsmann and left off the U.S. national team roster for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, Donovan showed the USMNT head coach exactly what he was missing by scoring twice in the second half of the LA Galaxy’s big win over the Philadelphia Union.
Whether or not Klinsmann lives to regret his ousting of the most famous player in U.S. soccer history remains to be seen, however Donovan made it clear that he has moved on and is back to doing what he does better than any forward in MLS history: scoring goals.
Twitter virtually exploded on Sunday evening as Donovan broke the record he had shared with Jeff Cunningham since last October. After eight games of the MLS season, LA’s main man has finally etched his name into the record books.
Here is how the folks on Twitter reacted.
MLS Commissioner Don Garber took to Twitter to congratulate Donovan.
Chicago Fire and USMNT forward Mike Magee pokes a bit of fun (quite a lot) at Jurgen Klinsmann’s son after his tasteless Tweet following Donovan’s shock omission from the national team.
The LA Lakers sent out the following congratulations to Donovan.
A Lakers fan is now @MLS's all-time goal king!
NBC’s soccer analyst Kyle Martino on Donovan’s achievement.
Donovan’s LA and USMNT teammate, Robbie Rogers.
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 5
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 2
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1
- Full draw: European giants collide as UEFA Champions League groups set 7