May 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Trailing 2-0 at Wembley to Leyton Orient in the League One playoff final, Rotherham United needed a miracle to seal promotion to the Championship.
Alex Revell popped up to provide the goods, as the 30-year-old striker scored twice against his former club, then Rotherham won 4-3 on penalties to seal their spot in England’s second-tier for the first time in nine years.
Revell’s second will capture the headlines as the Englishman chested the ball down and smashed in a tremendous looping volley from over 30-yards out to send the Rotherham fans wild and help the Millers on their way to promotion.
The technique, precision and quality of his strike is sublime and Revell will be dining out on that goal for quite some time in the Yorkshire town.
Tough luck for the O’s but Revell’s stunner meant he didn’t deserve to be on the losing side on Sunday.
- FC Basel 1-0 Liverpool: Streller sinks Reds in Switzerland 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 0
- Report: Red Bull’s days in MLS are likely numbered 4
- Men in Blazers podcast: Wayne Rooney’s implosion, Derby Day and an MiBNT update 0
- So much for bad hamstrings, Costa states he’s ready for Spain selection 0
- Mats Hummels says his future is at Dortmund 0