VOTE: Should Landon Donovan be going to the World Cup with the USA?

May 25, 2014, 7:05 PM EST

Let’s keep this simple.

In case you were living under a rock since last Thursday, you would’ve heard that U.S. national team legend Landon Donovan was left off the final USMNT roster for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Shock. Anger. Despair. Acceptance.

Those are the emotions most USMNT fans have gone through in the last three days since Donovan’s omission was made official by Jurgen Klinsmann. We had a plethora of content on the exclusion, what it means for the USA, Donovan, Klinsmann and everything else you could possibly think of (find links to those articles below).

However now that the news has sunk in, it is time to have your say and vote on whether or not Klinsmann was right to oust Donovan from appearing in his fourth-straight World Cup for the Stars and Stripes.

Vote below and let us know your feelings on this incredible story that has dominated the soccer community in the U.S. over the past few days and the ramifications are likely to be felt in the coming weeks and months.

USMNT ROSTER ANNOUNCEMENT

1. thfc54 - May 25, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Donovan has been basically AWOL for the last 2 years since Klinsmann took over. The folks who are outraged at Donovan being left out are the same ones who had a problem with Bocanegro and Gooch being excluded. That was a great decision considering the former captain and his mate were the worse central defenders the US ever fielded. They were the “swiss cheese” back line, full of holes. It’s time for US Soccer to move and and stop with the status quo.

• skjln - May 25, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Not so much. Never thought Gooch should be back and understood Boca. Not sold that Green gives you more than LD. He still has better vision and passing than any other US player. Hope I am wrong, but my current thinking is LD gives you more than Green or Davis. In the end, probably a moot point.

2. sadlerbillie57 - May 25, 2014 at 7:46 PM

like Brandon explained I am shocked that anybody can earn $9311 in 4 weeks on the internet . this website
    W­­W­­W­­.bay91­­.­­C­­ⓞ­­M

3. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - May 25, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I wonder if so much of the journo outrage is because LD is the gossip source for many of them?

4. talgrath - May 25, 2014 at 9:45 PM

In all honesty, I’m not sure either way. Donovan looked really good in the Gold Cup, but then he hasn’t looked good since then. Even his goal today, beating the record he tied last year, wasn’t exactly a great bit of play against a good team; the Union have been hanging out in the basement of the eastern conference for most of the season and the tap in was mostly the work of Keane who put a beauty of ball in front of goal and past the keeper. What it comes down to is this, I trust Klinsmann more than I trust a bunch of people who are making guesses from the outside; if I have to make a choice, I’m siding with Klinsmann.

5. steves4 - May 26, 2014 at 2:02 AM

What’s funny is that I think Landon should have been on the team, but I fully understand JK not including him. OK with the decision in the end.

6. pirovash88 - May 26, 2014 at 2:29 AM

I absolutely think he should be on the team. He’s definitely better than at least 1 other person on that roster. Donovan is a clutch guy, scores when we need it most and I’m sure jurgen will be wishing he had donovan when we’re in dire need of a miracle.

7. zxlaa - May 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Play the youngsters…..

• chesschum - May 26, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I’d agree with “play the youngsters” if the World Cup was every year. It’s every 4 years, and playing the youngsters isn’t good enough unless they’re really as good or better. Maybe they are. I guess we’ll find out.

8. braxtonrob - May 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I think what’s lost in this is we’re discussing LD on the BENCH, not the starting eleven, … the bench.

I don’t even care what everyone’s assessment of his current ‘form’ and/or ‘fitness’ right now.
    If Beasley has earned 4 WC trips, then Donovan damn well has too, … end of story.

(If the US does not beat Ghana by 2 goals, JK should be fired, period.)

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday