May 26, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
According to a report by The Telegraph’s Chris Bascombe, the contract runs through the summer of 2018.
The Liverpool release called the 41-year-old skipper “one of the brightest managerial talents in the game” and says his new long-term deal “brings further stability to the club.”
In a joint statement as part of the club announcement, Liverpool owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner said “Brendan is at the heart of what we, as an ownership group, are trying to achieve on the pitch. This season has reaffirmed everyone’s belief that we can bring football success to Liverpool and we are all committed to working together to achieve that.”
Rodgers began his managerial career recently, in 2008 at Watford, making stops at Reading and Swansea City, leading the Swans to the Premier League before joining Liverpool.
Rodgers told the club website, “I am both humbled and privileged to be offered the chance to extend my stay at this great club. I am very happy to build on the foundations we have built over the last two years and now we move onto the next phase which I believe will be as exciting, challenging and rewarding.”
This past season, Rodgers earned Liverpool a return to the Champions League after years of stagnation, and nearly won the Premier League, leading the way for much of the home stretch before faltering just before the finish line.
His best move yet as manager may be retaining striker Luis Suarez last summer, who was ready to leave after harsh treatment from fans and the media. The boss convinced him to stay, and he ended up having an incredible season, scoring 31 goals and winning PFA Player of the Year despite missing the first six games of the season.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0