May 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Serie A and AC Milan legend Filippo Inzaghi is set to take the reins at San Siro despite precious little experience as a manager
According to Goal Italy, Inzaghi will take over the No. 1 slot at AC Milan after two seasons running their U-19 side.
AC Milan stumbled this season under Massimiliano Allegri and Clarence Seedorf. While the club improved under the latter, it wasn’t enough to keep the Dutchman employed as Milan’s boss.
Milan has been searching for a replacement but has been put off its pusuit of Sevilla coach Unai Emery thanks to the high costs involved.
Club management figures, including owner Silvio Berlusconi and CEO Adriano Galliani, met Monday afternoon and have decided that Inzaghi is the only viable candidate to train the team next season.
Berlusconi and Galliani are expected to inform the former Italy international of their decision to promote him imminently.
AC Milan finished in eighth place in Serie A this season, three points back of No. 5 Inter Milan, 18 points back of No. 2 Roma and 45 back of scudetto-winning Juventus.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 2
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0