May 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Serie A and AC Milan legend Filippo Inzaghi is set to take the reins at San Siro despite precious little experience as a manager
According to Goal Italy, Inzaghi will take over the No. 1 slot at AC Milan after two seasons running their U-19 side.
AC Milan stumbled this season under Massimiliano Allegri and Clarence Seedorf. While the club improved under the latter, it wasn’t enough to keep the Dutchman employed as Milan’s boss.
Milan has been searching for a replacement but has been put off its pusuit of Sevilla coach Unai Emery thanks to the high costs involved.
Club management figures, including owner Silvio Berlusconi and CEO Adriano Galliani, met Monday afternoon and have decided that Inzaghi is the only viable candidate to train the team next season.
Berlusconi and Galliani are expected to inform the former Italy international of their decision to promote him imminently.
AC Milan finished in eighth place in Serie A this season, three points back of No. 5 Inter Milan, 18 points back of No. 2 Roma and 45 back of scudetto-winning Juventus.
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 0
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 3
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3
- Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope 1