May 26, 2014, 7:36 AM EDT
With Pepe Mel lasting just four months at the helm of West Bromwich Albion before quitting a day after the season, the Baggies are again looking towards Spain for their next man.
Reports all over the country have tabbed Real Madrid assistant Paul Clement as the man, indicating that he was a major target before Mel was hired as well, until the club chose the former Real Betis manager.
The Englishman has become Carlo Ancelotti’s understudy, following him from Chelsea to Paris Saint-Germain and now at Real Madrid, and he has said he wishes to return home.
“I think it’s soon [that I will manage], it will be soon,” Clement said. “Will it be England? I don’t rule out anything. More than likely in England, although if a nice opportunity came up in another country I wouldn’t rule it out. I’ve enjoyed working in France and Spain as well.”
The 42-year-old (pictured, right) has been invaluable for Real Madrid, helping new signing Gareth Bale settle into the club and teaching him the ways of his new manager.
Clement knows that eventually he will have to embark out on his own, despite having such a good relationship with Ancelotti. “Carlo has given me a lot of confidence in me and given me the belief that one day I can do it, but he hasn’t kicked me out of the door yet,” Clement joked.
Starting his career in Chelsea’s developmental center as a PE coach, Clement earned his first coaching role across town in the Fulham academy before rejoining Chelsea under Guus Hiddink. After the interim manager’s departure and the hiring of Ancelotti full-time, the two formed a partnership that has carried them together for the past five years.
- DaMarcus Beasley, introduced in Houston: I see myself as a left back 0
- Wenger talks Zelalem, gets taste of U.S. obsession for potential international 1
- EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s new signing Ander Herrera focused on success 2
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 1
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 4