Did Klinsmann unveil his XI for tonight at Monday’s open practice?

May 27, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Jamaica v United States - World Cup Qualifer Getty Images

Did Jurgen Klinsmann “give away” his Starting XI for Tuesday’s friendly against Azerbaijan a day early?

Monday’s open practice ended with an 11v11 game for the fans who came out to watch their hopeful World Cup heroes, and here’s how Klinsmann trotted out one side:

—————-Howard—————

Johnson–Besler–Cameron–Beasley

————Jones—–Bradley———

Zusi———Dempsey———-Bedoya

—————-Altidore—————-

Johnson’s move to the right shows not only his versatility but the States troubles at right back, as Johnson isn’t necessarily a natural fit for the position. Bedoya may surprise some folks, but there are few other wild cards in the bunch (unless you’re a major Omar Gonzalez fan who completely ignored Geoff Cameron‘s year at Stoke).

Obviously, Klinsmann will get to deploy six subs tonight as well and there’s no guarantee there won’t be changes, but what do you think?

1. braxtonrob - May 27, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I only agree with 6 or 7 of those choices.
    (Then again, some of ‘my’ choices aren’t even on the roster!)

• markburst - May 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM

time to stop crying about the roster… it is not going to change. Donovan is not there because he did not train like the best player on the team and he needed to be that in order to get to Brazil… life’s not fair. If you want to blame someone, blame US Soccer. That is what happens when you sign a coach for the NEXT cycle before he gets through this cycle. This may be the lineup to start the game against Azerbaijan, but I doubt this will be the lineup to start against Ghana in a few weeks.

• braxtonrob - May 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Did I mention Donovan’s name?

(Maybe don’t jump to conclusions. Would I have Donovan on my bench? Yes. Is this a discussion about the bench? No.)

Also, “lifes … (going to seem pretty un) fair” when Klinsmann’s team gets outscored 9-2 after these three games. Oh :O did I just commit the fatal faupaux of being pessimistic about our chances, pre-tournament, SO sorry.

2. rafibomb10 - May 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I disagree that Johnson “isn’t a natural fit for the position.” He is pacy, right footed, and likes to get forward. That is how I like my right back. I think it is better than him lining up at left back.

Also just a side note, but I’m thinking Besler will be lining up at Left Center Back and Cameron at Right Center Back, because Besler is left footed and Cameron right footed.

No surprises for me though, if that were the line up. Julian Green will be in off the bench for Bedoya…that is a guarantee.

• mikeymo74 - May 27, 2014 at 6:26 PM

It’s fine for Azerbaijan, but for the World Cup, we will need our right back to stay back and defend. The only problem is that we don’t have enough competent defenders, but otherwise I think Johnson would be better suited for a wide midfield role.

3. papazoid - May 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Klinsmann is an IDIOT. Landon Donovan is still the BEST attacking player on the team. he led the team in scoring in 2013. JK never forgave LD for taking those 4 months off, thinking that it might cost him his coaching job if the USA didn’t qualify for world cup. based on JK’s son’s tweet, it is personal. having said that, Michael Bradley should be the attacking mid. bedoya sucks, Altidore sucks. I bet we don’t score a single goal in the World Cup with that lineup from mondays open practice.

• rafibomb10 - May 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Love your optimism bro!

• atxnole - May 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Haha, this comment made me laugh out loud. Well played.

• holdon1 - May 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM

To clarify: Donovan is the best attacking player NOT on the squad.

• siris46 - May 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM

1.Actually Jozy lead the team in scoring in 2013 with 8 goals. LD had 7 (5 of those goals where against teams that dont have real teams)
      2. It is not personal, I have never heard of a coach letting his teenage son tell him how to do his job.
      3.Bradley should not be a CAM, he is a CDM and has played there the majority of his career. He has only played CAM 1 time in the past 2 years.
      4. I havent seen Bedoya play for the US much, but he had a great campaign with Nantes where he was a regular, he plays middle or right, but never on the left wing.
      5. Altidore I do agree had a horrible year.

• loganthehuge2 - May 27, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Get over it.

Jozy will score in the first match and you’ll be cheering your arse off.

4. itsacurse - May 27, 2014 at 11:41 AM

How is Johnson not a natural fit at right back? Was it his 14 appearances there for Hoffenheim this season? http://www.whoscored.com/Players/30577

5. midtec2005 - May 27, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Fabian Johnson has done a good job on the left too, I was thinking he might start at left mid. We may see him there in another of the practice games. Especially with both Yedlin and Chandler on the roster. It will also be interesting to see how Bradley and Jones do in comparison to Bradley and Beckerman. Hopefully Cameron looks good enough to settle the center-back competition, but idk. He has been somewhat mistake prone himself, but probably to a lesser degree than Gonzales.

• el timo - May 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Jones starts, but Beckerman subs in for him pronto when Jones picks up a yellow, or keeps getting turned and burned. Cameron and Besler go RB, LB. All in all, a fast group. I’ll be pleasantly shocked if they prove fast enough for Ghana-Portugal-Germany.

6. onelovesoccer7 - May 27, 2014 at 12:46 PM

if Bedoya is a surprise to some folks, then they haven’t been paying attention. 6 goals and 2 assists in Ligue 1 for a newly promoted team is solid. i’m fine with seeing what he has to offer at LM.

this lineup makes sense and gives Beasley a chance to hold onto his spot but i’d like to see Chandler at some point in this game for sure. which sounds like a guarantee based on what JK said about using all his subs.

7. skipvanmeter - May 27, 2014 at 1:48 PM

That’s probably the expected lineup and the default starting lineup for the WC.

8. greenhagen - May 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM

JK needs to use this game to see how the pieces fit. It doesn’t matter who starts, I expect to see some in game adjustments. Heck, we could start Howard as a striker and still win 5-0.

• braxtonrob - May 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Howard can’t even keep goal (at the international level), and you’ve got him scoring goals.
      The only mistake Klinsmann made that is bigger than leaving Donovan off the team, is starting Howard over Guzan. Every SAVVY soccer fan knows that World Cups are won in goal, and Howard will make sure he looks good when he flinches and dives OUT of the way any near chances. After all, “looking good” is as important as winning. Guzan has a lot to learn from him, all Brad does is save EVERY savable shot that comes goal-ward.

9. booger1234 - May 27, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Sorry but Johnson needs to be in at LB and Chandler at RB. I like Cameron in the middle as Omar has had momentary lapses that could hurt us. Johnson and Chandlers speed will be great down the wings.

• gra42 - May 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Best observation so far, based on rests ALREADY seen. No speculation necessary.

10. jimsakeeper1 - May 27, 2014 at 4:26 PM

It was only a mini-game (maybe 15m long?) and played from 18 to 18. The reduced space confused me. But I’d say anywhere Timmy, Bradley, and Dempsey line up together , that is the varsity squad. Not sure why not Cameron but we’ll see.

11. sjbmaltese - May 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Sometimes when building a winner you don’t take the 23 “best” players, but you take the 23 best pieces…
    Jurgen wants 23 guys who will run through a wall for him, not a guy who needs a vacation during qualifying. He’s more burnt out than the guys fighting for roster spots in Europe? Please….

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals