May 27, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
It hasn’t come easy for Radja Nainggolan, but the hardy AS Roma midfielder was built for tough play. On loan from Cagliari, the Belgian veteran became a big part of i Lupi‘s success in late 2014 and was expected to be a big part of his club and nation’s charge ahead.
But things don’t always play out as expected. PST had a chance to speak with the 26-year-old on Monday about his Roma success and Belgian omission.
Radja Nainggolan: “I’m very happy, it’s a great club that was already doing very well before I got here. My teammates have been great in making me feel part of the team right away, I’m very happy.”
PST: How excited are you at the prospect of Champions League football next year?
RN: “The Champions League was a dream and is now a reality, I’m very happy and we will have to prove that we deserved it.”
PST: Pjanic, De Rossi, Strootman (when healthy)… how competitive is training every day?
RN: “Competition is good and healthy for the team, it keeps everyone from doing anything but their best. They are great players and I think the players who will play will be the ones who proved they deserve it.”
PST: Obviously we know Roma can compete for the Serie A title, but do you think you can be a threat in the UCL in your first year back?
RN: “This year we did our best and will continue doing so. Right now we need to focus on giving everything next season, the rest will come.”
PST: I’m sure it’s hard to be on the stand-by list for World Cup, but it’s a great honor and it shows how deep Belgium is. What are the expectations for the nation in Brazil?
RN: “I was expecting to be in the 23 to make the team to be honest. There are a lot of great players, unfortunately I wasn’t chosen and I have accepted this and will certainly support the team.”
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0