May 27, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
Since we have our own Player of the Week process, we normally skip covering who wins Major League Soccer’s weekly honor. We usually incorporate the news into another post. This week’s winner, however, deserves some special consideration. After all, he is the all-time leading scorer in MLS history.
With two goals on Sunday against the visiting Philadelphia Union, LA Galaxy icon Landon Donovan broke the tie that had persisted on top of the league’s career scoring charts, passing Jeff Cunningham with his 135th and 136th career regular season goals. Donovan also assisted on the game’s opening goal, his second helper of the season finding Leonardo to give Los Angeles 1-0, second minute lead.
It was the break out fans have been waiting for all season – a rebuke to those who doubted that, over any 90-minute span, Donovan’s production could still match his reputation. Setting up four other Galaxy shots while leading his team in passes, Donovan produced like a player trying to prove a point. Garnering the attention of MLS’s Player of the Week voters, that point obviously hit home.
On historic significant alone, Donovan has a case to be win this honor. That his was legitimately one of the weekend’s best performer gives him a case that goes beyond emotion. Donovan’s honor is as telling as it is deserving.
We’ll be back later tonight with PST’s Player of the Week award, with players like Federico Higuaín, Gershon Koffie, Diego Fagundez, as well as a Galaxy teammate having also given stand-out performances. For now, we give Donovan the headline he’s earned.
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0
- SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34 0
- Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea 6
- UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus 0