May 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Alessandro Del Piero is again being linked with Major League Soccer, this time by his own words.
He’s coming off two seasons in the A League, where Del Piero scored 24 goals over 42 appearances for Sydney FC.
Del Piero was speaking to Sky recently about his future and Italy’s chances in the World Cup. Many have linked Del Piero to a number of moves, including to Guangzhou Evergrande, where Marcelo Lippi is currently coaching and Major League Soccer.
He did his best to address the rumors to Sky and clarify the situation. “My future? I’ve heard from Japan, America and other places but nothing is yet decided. We will see, maybe I’ll look for something during the World Cup.”
How effective would the 39-year-old striker be in Major League Soccer? The league hasn’t slowed down country mate Marco Di Vaio, who may be younger but to whom comparisons may be fair.
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 3
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 3
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 5