May 28, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
The Netherlands provisional roster is down to 29, thanks to an injury to Hamburg midfielder Rafael van der Vaart.
That makes two high-profile midfielders down for the count, as Kevin Strootman was lost for the tournament during AS Roma’s season.
The 31-year-old attacker hurt his calf during training for Louis van Gaal’s unit, and will not participate in the 2014 World Cup.
The two-time vice captain did not score in his previous World Cups, 2006 and 2010, and was hoping to rectify that in Brazil.
Here are the remaining midfielders currently in Dutch camp: Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord), Jonathan de Guzman (Swansea), Nigel de Jong (AC Milan), Leroy Fer (Norwich), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich), Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV Eindhoven).
Van der Vaart is in his second stint with Hamburg after spending time at Tottenham, Ajax and Real Madrid. He has 25 goals for country in 109 caps.
- Kevin de Bruyne deal moves closer after “astonishing” offer to join Manchester City 0
- CONCACAF aims for 50-50 crowd split for USA vs. Mexico clash at Rose Bowl 2
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0
- Full draw: Epic UEFA Champions League group stage will see giants collide 3
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Neymar in talks, Olic to Stoke City 0