May 28, 2014, 9:25 PM EST
As we continue our countdown to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil here at PST, each day from now until the tournament begins we will look back at a memorable moment from years gone by.
Here is number 15.
PST’s Top 20 World Cup moments – No. 15. Party time in Paris, as France seal World Cup trophy in ’98
“Allez le Bleus, allez le Bleus!”
Jubilant scenes swept around the Stade de France after the 1998 World Cup final: France were finally world champions. Two first half headers from Zinedine Zidane put France 2-0 up over reigning World Champions Brazil, then a late goal from Emmanuel Petit sealed a remarkable 3-0 win.
The victory sparked wild scenes in the French capital as the host nation rode a wave of euphoria from the very start of the tournament in ’98. The way in which France won their first-ever trophy was flamboyant, fitting and downright impressive. With players such as Zidane, Didier Deschamps, Youri Djorkaeff and Petit dominating the midfield, Les Bleus were simply too good for any team who stood in their way. They had so many memorable moments on their path to the final from Laurent Blanc’s golden goal, Fabian Barthez’s saves and a string of fine attacking displays.
Host nations usually do extremely well — Italy, Uruguay, England, Germany and Argentina had all previously won titles on home soil –yet there was something special about France sealing this World Cup. They captured the imagination of the citizens and with a whole crop of talented players such as Theirry Henry and David Trezeguet coming through, it was just the start of France’s domination on world soccer as they would win the European Championships in 2000.
A memorable moment in World Cup history saw one of the most influential nations finally get their mits on the glittering trophy after stunning final. Tres bien.
- Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution 0
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 0
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 3
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0