May 28, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Wednesday marks the start of fan voting for the MLS XI that Caleb Porter will lead onto the Providence Park pitch to face Bayern Munich on August 6.
There will be 32 (!!!) MLS All-Stars chosen from a massive field (8 players per MLS team). Fan voting determines 11 players. and then Porter will select the game-day roster from the Fan XI along with commissioner Don Garber’s two submissions and any players were received votes from at least two players.
Finally, the remainder of the 32-man roster will be selected by MLS player voting. These players will be inactive for the match against Bayern Munich.
Nineteen goalkeepers, one from each team, are available to vote. The fans also select any 10 players from a list of “field players.” There is no requirement per position, so fans could vote for 10 defenders if they chose.
Here are a couple interesting (to me) groups you could put together (not paying particular attention what side of the field each player plays on:
The World Cup 30-man XI:
The “%&^%^& Jurgen” XI:
The Non-American XI:
The Mendola ‘Blink':
- Next step: Las Vegas soccer stadium moves forward, but there’s a catch 1
- Lionel Messi heading to PSG, Chelsea? Not so fast, say Barcelona 1
- $88 million Edinson Cavani linked to Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United 3
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 6