May 28, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Wednesday marks the start of fan voting for the MLS XI that Caleb Porter will lead onto the Providence Park pitch to face Bayern Munich on August 6.
There will be 32 (!!!) MLS All-Stars chosen from a massive field (8 players per MLS team). Fan voting determines 11 players. and then Porter will select the game-day roster from the Fan XI along with commissioner Don Garber’s two submissions and any players were received votes from at least two players.
Finally, the remainder of the 32-man roster will be selected by MLS player voting. These players will be inactive for the match against Bayern Munich.
Nineteen goalkeepers, one from each team, are available to vote. The fans also select any 10 players from a list of “field players.” There is no requirement per position, so fans could vote for 10 defenders if they chose.
Here are a couple interesting (to me) groups you could put together (not paying particular attention what side of the field each player plays on:
The World Cup 30-man XI:
The “%&^%^& Jurgen” XI:
The Non-American XI:
The Mendola ‘Blink’:
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3