May 29, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
As we continue our countdown to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil here at PST, each day from now until the tournament begins we will look back at a memorable moment from years gone by.
Here is number 14.
PST’s Top 20 World Cup moments – No. 14. Cameroon take Italia ’90 by storm, veteran Milla does the business
Heading into the 1990 World Cup in Italy, many people didn’t give Cameroon a chance at advancing out of their group in just their second appearance in the finals. They shocked everyone, including reigning champions Argentina and Diego Maradona, by beating them 1-0 in the opening game of the tournament.
Cameroon then beat Romania to advance to the second round where Roger Milla increased his number of goals to four for the tournament by scoring twice against Colombia to set up a quarterfinal date with England. His famous dance with the corner flag was to become one of the lasting images of the World Cup, as the 38-year-old forward defied his veteran status to tear apart opposition defenses, often from the bench. Remarkable.
Their success in the 1990 tournament remains the only time Cameroon have ever reached the knockout stage in their history and they took England all the way in a classic World Cup quarterfinal in Naples. England were ahead at half time but then Cameroon brought on, you guessed it, Milla and he turned the game on its head. He won a penalty which Cameroon scored to equalize, then set up the go-ahead goal. However the fairytale was soon to be over, as Gary Lineker scored twice from the penalty spot to send England through to the semis.
No African team has since bettered Cameroon’s remarkable run to the last eight of a World Cup, as Milla’s legend lives on alongside that of the ‘The Indomitable Lions.’
- 2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too 3
- New York City mayor could give USWNT ticker tape parade in Manhattan 1
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 0
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9