May 30, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Toure apparently picked up the illness while on a trip to his home city of Abidjan before making it to international camp in Dallas.
Team doctor Cyrille Dah said Toure is out for tonight and the weekend but “will be okay to return to training next week.”
“Since Wednesday Kolo has been having treatment and this treatment will end on Friday,” said Dah. “We have therefore told him to rest.
After playing much of the first two-thirds of Liverpool’s season, the 33-year-old defender rode the bench down the stretch as the Reds shot for the Premier League title, playing a total of five minutes in the club’s final 11 matches.
Iconic striker Didier Drogba is fully fit after minor groin surgery, according to the team, and is in the squad for tonight’s friendly, on the bench. Drogba had the operation in Qatar at the end of April on club duty.
UPDATE: Drogba came on as a 63rd minute substitute for Lacina Traore, and scored without many of his supporting cast on the pitch, a great sign for his team and country.
In addition, Kolo’s brother Yaya Toure is on his way back from an unspecified injury that also required a minor procedure, done in Qatar. He will join the squad in the United States tomorrow and will train with the target of returning for their next friendly in the States against El Salvador on Saturday in Dallas.
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 0
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 5
- Premier League Playback: Looking back at a memorable 2014-15 season 0
- Didier Drogba open to Major League Soccer move after leaving Chelsea 8
- Real Madrid president asked what’s wrong with Carlo Ancelotti: “I don’t know” 2
- In a career full of blunders, firing Carlo Ancelotti is Florentino Perez’s worst mistake yet 7