May 30, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Toure apparently picked up the illness while on a trip to his home city of Abidjan before making it to international camp in Dallas.
Team doctor Cyrille Dah said Toure is out for tonight and the weekend but “will be okay to return to training next week.”
“Since Wednesday Kolo has been having treatment and this treatment will end on Friday,” said Dah. “We have therefore told him to rest.
After playing much of the first two-thirds of Liverpool’s season, the 33-year-old defender rode the bench down the stretch as the Reds shot for the Premier League title, playing a total of five minutes in the club’s final 11 matches.
Iconic striker Didier Drogba is fully fit after minor groin surgery, according to the team, and is in the squad for tonight’s friendly, on the bench. Drogba had the operation in Qatar at the end of April on club duty.
UPDATE: Drogba came on as a 63rd minute substitute for Lacina Traore, and scored without many of his supporting cast on the pitch, a great sign for his team and country.
In addition, Kolo’s brother Yaya Toure is on his way back from an unspecified injury that also required a minor procedure, done in Qatar. He will join the squad in the United States tomorrow and will train with the target of returning for their next friendly in the States against El Salvador on Saturday in Dallas.
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Everton, Man United, Man City, Stoke 0
- Watching a UEFA Champions League game with US star Geoff Cameron 0
- WATCH: PST Extra previews Liverpool vs. Manchester City 0
- Jose Mourinho reveals love for League Cup ahead of Chelsea’s final vs. Tottenham 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 27 0
- New York City FC confirm they tried to sign Xavi, will try again in 2015 0