May 30, 2014, 8:51 AM EDT
David Villa being linked with a move to Major League Soccer is something we’ve certainly heard before.
However this time it seems to all be a lot more serious.
Multiple sources are reporting that Villa is on his way to New York City FC this summer and will become the clubs first marquee signing and Designated Player. The club and Major League Soccer have both denied these reports, but sources who ProSoccerTalk have spoken to confirmed that a deal is in place for Villa to arrive in the Big Apple this summer.
That would be a huge coup as the Spanish international is the reigning World Champions’ leading all-time scorer with 56 goals in 94 appearances and he is currently on Spain’s 30-man provisional roster for the World Cup this summer.
This season Villa helped Atletico Madrid to the Spanish league title as he scored 13 goals in 36 games. The former Sporting Gijon, Real Zaragoza, Valencia, and Barcelona forward is now 32 and believed to be on a short-term deal at Atletico Madrid which he can easily get out of.
Reports are suggesting that he will be offered a three-year deal with NYCFC ahead of their debut MLS season in 2015.
So if Villa does sign, what will he do between the end of the World Cup this summer and next March?
Director of soccer operations at NYCFC, Claudio Reyna, has been quoted in a recent interview as saying short-term loans would be agreed to keep any player they sign fit before the 2015 MLS season begins next March.
This rumor certainly has some traction and would be incredibly exciting for the league if the Spanish hotshot arrives in Manhattan.
- Top seven moments that defined Chelsea’s championship season 0
- Chelsea crowned Premier League champions in record fashion 0
- Chelsea 1-0 Crystal Palace: Hazard goal fittingly clinches Premier League title (video) 0
- MLS roundup: Revs, D.C. United rule the East; Timbers, Whitecaps split points 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 2-0 Columbus Crew SC 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Chelsea chases coronation clincher, Spurs host Man City 0