May 30, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
As we continue our countdown to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil here at PST, each day from now until the tournament begins we will look back at a memorable moment from years gone by.
Here is number 13.
PST’s Top 20 World Cup moments – No. 13. Donovan scores last-gasp goal to send U.S. through to last 16
It is a moment that is etched into the minds of an entire generation of soccer fans in the USA.
During the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, the U.S. were seconds away from bowing out in the group stage as they were locked in a 0-0 tie with Algeria. The USMNT were carving out golden opportunities and absolutely battered their African opponents but just couldn’t find a way through.
Bob Bradley’s men looked to have come up short and would agonizingly be knocked out of the World Cup as Clint Dempsey smashed the inside of the post and had a goal chalked out for being offside. Nothing was going right. Hold your horses. Relax yourself. This is where it got real.
Algeria launched an attack in stoppage time as a goal would’ve given them a chance of going through but in the 92nd minute Tim Howard caught the ball and threw it out to start an U.S. attack. Landon Donovan latched onto it, ran at the Algerian defense and slotted in Jozy Altidore who knocked a ball into the box towards Dempsey but he was tackled. However the loose ball broke straight to an onrushing Donovan who slotted the ball home and sent an entire nation wild.
Cue scenes of pandemonium on the sidelines as Donovan was mobbed by his teammates. His last-gasp goal had sealed a spot in the last 16 for the USA and it instantly became one of the signature moments in U.S. soccer history.
Enjoy watching the replay of that memorable moment in the video above. No matter who you support, it’s sure to send shivers down your spine.
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 1
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 8
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2