May 30, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
When, not if, DaMarcus Beasley steps out on the field for the U.S. national team in Brazil this summer, he will be a record breaker before he’s even kicked a ball. Beasley will become the first-ever USMNT player to have played in four World Cups and that is an incredible achievement. On the pitch he has appeared in 115 games for the USA, has played in the U.S., England, Scotland, Holland and Mexico professionally and is the only America to ever make it into the final four of the UEFA Champions League. Beasley has had a brilliant career and will go down in the history books.
Full name: DaMarcus Lamont Beasley
Hometown: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Position: Left Back/Left Wing
Caps/goals: 115 caps, 17 goals
Club: Free agent (previously with Puebla)
Best moment in a U.S. shirt: Beasley has put in some brilliant displays as a dazzling winger over the years, but perhaps his two-goal salvo vs. Jamaica in the 2005 Gold Cup quarterfinal was his best performance. Beasley, and the U.S., should have won by a heavy margin than 3-1 as his speed on the wings tore the Reggae Boys apart. Captaining his nation to the 2013 Gold Cup trophy was also a highlight for the Indiana native.
Starter or squad player at World Cup? Beasley is set to start at left back for the USMNT. He has been transformed from a pacey winger to a full back in the last few seasons and he has flourished. Beasley will see the World Cup as a shop window as he is currently without a club after his contract with Liga MX side Puebla ran out. If he plays, Beasley will be the first player in U.S. soccer history to have played at four different World Cups. His name will go down in history if, as expected, he’s deployed at left back by Klinsmann. Solid, dependable and a wise old head.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3