May 30, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Jozy Altidore is one the USA’s brightest talents and will play a leading role in Brazil this summer. It is hard to believe he is still under the age of 25 as Altidore has racked up almost 70 caps for the USMNT. His hold up play has improved this season in the hustle and bustle of the Premier League with Sunderland but the goals have dried up dramatically. Bearing in mind he is the USA’s main goal threat in Brazil, Altidore needs to arrive in South America all guns blazing.
Full name: Josmer Volmy Altidore
Hometown: Livingston, New Jersey
Caps/goals: 68 caps, 21 goals
Best moment in a U.S. shirt: Scoring a hat trick against Bosnia away in a friendly in the USA’s 4-3 comeback win. Altidore scored a stunning free kick in the treble and also stretched his scoring streak to five consecutive games. That set a record for any USMNT player in history.
Starter or squad player at World Cup? For the past two seasons this hasn’t even been a question, as Altidore (even when going through a long drought in front of goal) is the USA’s main man up top. Yet after another extremely barren season in the PL — Altidore has scored just once in 31 PL games since signing for Sunderland last summer — Jurgen Klinsmann has a big decision to make. Does he stick with the man who got him through qualifying or give in-form strikers Chris Wondolowski or Aron Johannsson the chance to lead the line? Altidore should be a lock, but he needs to start scoring. Soon.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 2
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 5
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 5