May 30, 2014, 9:10 AM EST
Jozy Altidore is one the USA’s brightest talents and will play a leading role in Brazil this summer. It is hard to believe he is still under the age of 25 as Altidore has racked up almost 70 caps for the USMNT. His hold up play has improved this season in the hustle and bustle of the Premier League with Sunderland but the goals have dried up dramatically. Bearing in mind he is the USA’s main goal threat in Brazil, Altidore needs to arrive in South America all guns blazing.
Full name: Josmer Volmy Altidore
Hometown: Livingston, New Jersey
Caps/goals: 68 caps, 21 goals
Best moment in a U.S. shirt: Scoring a hat trick against Bosnia away in a friendly in the USA’s 4-3 comeback win. Altidore scored a stunning free kick in the treble and also stretched his scoring streak to five consecutive games. That set a record for any USMNT player in history.
Starter or squad player at World Cup? For the past two seasons this hasn’t even been a question, as Altidore (even when going through a long drought in front of goal) is the USA’s main man up top. Yet after another extremely barren season in the PL — Altidore has scored just once in 31 PL games since signing for Sunderland last summer — Jurgen Klinsmann has a big decision to make. Does he stick with the man who got him through qualifying or give in-form strikers Chris Wondolowski or Aron Johannsson the chance to lead the line? Altidore should be a lock, but he needs to start scoring. Soon.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0