May 30, 2014, 9:10 AM EST
Jozy Altidore is one the USA’s brightest talents and will play a leading role in Brazil this summer. It is hard to believe he is still under the age of 25 as Altidore has racked up almost 70 caps for the USMNT. His hold up play has improved this season in the hustle and bustle of the Premier League with Sunderland but the goals have dried up dramatically. Bearing in mind he is the USA’s main goal threat in Brazil, Altidore needs to arrive in South America all guns blazing.
Full name: Josmer Volmy Altidore
Hometown: Livingston, New Jersey
Caps/goals: 68 caps, 21 goals
Best moment in a U.S. shirt: Scoring a hat trick against Bosnia away in a friendly in the USA’s 4-3 comeback win. Altidore scored a stunning free kick in the treble and also stretched his scoring streak to five consecutive games. That set a record for any USMNT player in history.
Starter or squad player at World Cup? For the past two seasons this hasn’t even been a question, as Altidore (even when going through a long drought in front of goal) is the USA’s main man up top. Yet after another extremely barren season in the PL — Altidore has scored just once in 31 PL games since signing for Sunderland last summer — Jurgen Klinsmann has a big decision to make. Does he stick with the man who got him through qualifying or give in-form strikers Chris Wondolowski or Aron Johannsson the chance to lead the line? Altidore should be a lock, but he needs to start scoring. Soon.
- Sure there’s “interest throughout Europe”, but where is the best spot for Jozy Altidore? 0
- Pick just three?!? FIFPro World XI midfielder shortlist is Juve-heavy, really good 0
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 2