May 31, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
Just days after Southampton announced that no offers had been made for Adam Lallana, Liverpool have launched a final bid for the midfielder. The Reds have boosted their offer to £25m (~$42m) and seek to have the deal completed quickly.
Lallana scored nine goals in 38 Premier League appearances last season, contributing six assists as well. As Liverpool managed 101 goals on the season, while conceding 50, it’s difficult to believe they’re really in need of more attacking talent. But with the Champions League ahead, it’s apparent that Brendan Rodgers wants to build as strong a squad as possible.
Liverpool want the offer negotiated as quickly as possible, in case they need to move on to other transfer targets. They previously offered £20m (~$33m), but Southampton balked. The Saints will need to pay 25 percent of any transfer fee to Lallana’s former club, Bournemouth, and are looking to make £20m after the payment to the Cherries has been made. However, the latest deal will leave Southampton with just £18.75m (~$31m). Will that be enough?
It’s understandable that Southampton want to hang on to Lallana, who was named in the PFA Team of the Year, and is soon to be on his way to Brazil with the England squad. But with Mauricio Pochettino now signed on to manage Tottenham, the club may be seen as being in a time of transition, which could make it difficult to hang on to valuable players.
It’s also rumored that Liverpool are in the mix for Saints’ forward Rickie Lambert. In fact, he’s set to have a medical at Liverpool on Saturday, with the deal rumored to be around £4m (~$6.7m). And with Luke Shaw likely on his way out as well, will Southampton be an entirely different side when the new Premier League season starts?
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 3